Friday, January 15, 2010

To the rescue, again!

My Hutterite friends were such a HUGE help before Alia was born. In one day we made two sets of duvet covers (boy and girl) and matching pillows, a bumper pad, a crib skirt, and sewed all my receiving blankets for each sex. It would have taken me FOREVER to do it all on my own... but between three of us we had a ball, and got it done in a jiffy!
Well... the other day I was trying to make a flannel fringe blanket and happened to be talking to Roseanna on the phone at the time. Things weren't quite working out as planned and, despite my protest, Roseanne insisted that I stop and finish sewing it at their place. And I was to bring any sewing that I still wanted to get done for the baby! (Needless to say, I have learned that having the right tools makes a WORLD of difference! So I now have a few more toys in my sewing closet for the next time!)
What a huge blessing it was! I have some extra winter baby blankets ready and had such a great day with Roseanna and her family. It's always such a treat to head out to the colony and hang out for a bit!

Alia learning how to sew from Rose (Roseanna's mother)... a much better teacher than I am!




Roseanna with her beautiful girl


They have everything you can possibly think of to aid in sewing... but since they sew all their clothes, bedding, towels, etc. it just makes sense! Every time I sew with these ladies I learn a new trick of the trade!!


I forgot to get a picture of us cutting the fabric and laying out the pattern for the fringe blankets, so... this is the last strip waiting to be sewn!


All the strips sewn (for the girl blanket) and now it's waiting to be "fringed"


Roseanna "fringing" away... it took us quite awhile to do that on two blankets!


It never fails... I ALWAYS leave with more than I came with when I visit the colony! And every time I tell them it's too much they just laugh and help me to the vehicle with all the bags!

1 comment:

  1. AWWWW, I LOVE Rose!!! She makes me the BEST slippers every single year!! :) My parents are friends with Cornie and Rose.. what a blessing they are! So glad you got all of your sewing done in time for baby.. C'MON BABY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete