Monday, February 23, 2009

Well with my soul

Yesterday our pastor had a really good message. The main jist of it - we aren’t supposed to put all our energy, resources, and time into the life we’re living now… but to store treasures in heaven. We were challenged to be dead to this life and living for the next. Also to have friends that draw us closer to the Lord and not away from Him. But... the story that really got me was that of Horatio G. Spafford.

Horatio G. Spafford was a lawyer in Chicago that lived during the 19th century. During his life, he experienced many personal tragedies. In 1870, the Spaffords' only son was killed by scarlet fever at the age of four. A year later they were ruined financially by the Great Chicago Fire. Horatio Spafford decided that he and his family needed a break from the events that had happened recently and went to England for a break.
In 1873 when Horatio Spafford's wife and four daughters were leaving from New York to England, the ship that they were travelling on, 'Ville de Havre' struck another ship and sunk, killing his four daughters. His wife, the only survivor, sent him a telegram 9 days after the ship left the harbor of New York, with two words, "Saved alone".
Horatio Spafford, upon hearing the news, left for England to join his wife. As the ship he was on passed the place where his daughters perished, the captain called him to the bridge. "A careful reckoning has been made", he said, "and I believe we are now passing the place where the de Havre was wrecked. The water is three miles deep." That night, in his cabin, Horatio penned the lyrics to one of the most famous hymns of all time.

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,

It is well, it is well, with my soul.
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

You know the rest of the song. Our challenge… is it well with your soul? After a week of feeling sorry for myself, wishing we had more family around, feeling cooped up and restless, and generally being just a tad bit cranky, I was very humbled. Wherever I am, whomever I’m with, and whether life is rosy or a little dim, my desire is to be able to say… it is well with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment