Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Things that Come Out of my Mouth...

Today, as I was picking up something from a friend's house, I made a disturbing comment. She too had the same "problem" with her daughter being small when she was Alia's age. During the course of our conversation I said "Yeah... Alia looks a little retarded when she's wearing pants that are too short." How could I say something like that about my own daughter? And ya know what? I didn't say it just once, but found myself saying it twice. When I got in the vehicle I was appalled. Ali always looks cute in my eyes... whether she's buck naked or dressed to the nines. And more so... the word "retarded" is such an insensitive word to use.
The more I thought about it the more I realized that comment was said out of what other people think... not what I think. I know... this isn't really a big deal, but for some reason it's opened my eyes a little.
I hate that I care so much about what other people think. My husband doesn't care and is himself no matter the situation. If I could just get that, then my life would be radically different. The freedom that comes from living for an audience of One...
But on a different note... Alia tried macaroni and cheese for the first time today and LOVED it! She couldn't get enough! It totally made my day...
Oh... and here's a pic of Alia's "short" pants...

2 comments:

  1. I just love this pic of Alia. It's such an "I'm so hot." pose! It's like a little invitation for us all to see how cute she is, short jeans and all! Cute booty Alia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Renee, how I understand! I've said things too that later I think "Why in the world did I say it? One, it didn't sound nice and two, I don't even think it's true." Someday girlie, we'll be home...

    ReplyDelete