Monday, May 25, 2009

Water, water everywhere...

The good news is our sump pump has a 5 year warranty. The bad news is it left us high and dry. Wait - dry isn't quite the right word! High and wet... really, really wet!
We got quite the amount of rain last night/today, so had I been on the ball I probably would have went to the basement to make sure the sump pump was working. But... it's fairly new, we've never really had problems before, and I was focused on getting all the party stuff cleaned up (and a nap!). So I was quite surprised to find 1" or so of water covering the basement floor when I finally made my way down there.
I phoned Jon in somewhat of a panic and he was able to get home in about 1/2 hour. He brought home a borrowed pump and started squeegeeing... only to discover the 2nd pump was no longer working! So off we go to town to try and replace our pump. We were quite surprised to find the one we needed in stock and the exchange was as pleasant as could be! Plus we had a coupon for a free pizza and thought it was a good night for one, so that made me happy!
Well... the basement floor is nice and clean! And we've taken this as a hint that it's time to clear out a few things. I've gotten rid of all the empty boxes from Alia's baby gear (Jon has assured me that keeping them just to have all the original boxes when we have a garage sale in 10 years is hardly worth it!) and we've put a number of things up for sale, so that's good!
I wouldn't say I would choose for this to happen again... but it's high time our basement got decluttered and I guess we needed a kick in the pants to get that done!

No comments:

Post a Comment