Monday, May 25, 2009

Big Birthday Bash!

Alia's birthday party went really good! Sometimes I plan and plan an event... then it doesn't go at all like I thought, so I'm sad (possibly a little whiny) and poor Jon has to listen to all the details that didn't go like I wanted them to. Anyhow... this was NOT one of those times!
Alia had so much fun! She opened lots of presents, played with some of her best friends, ate some icing (she never really tasted cake I don't think!), and had somewhat of a balloon overload! Every time she saw another balloon she would get all excited and try to say "balloon"... it kind of comes out like "ba ba oo". It's just so cute... and I never get tired of her cute little attempt!
Here's the cake that I made for the big party. The first tier was a white cake with raspberry and white chocolate filling. The second tier was a white cake with hazelnut filling and the third tier was a smash cake for Alia. If you can't tell... it's supposed to be a purse! The cake was NOTHING like I had in my head - but I've come to the realization that I'm no cake making pro! Oh well, Alia didn't seem to mind and people ate the cake with a smile!
I couldn't really find a banner like I wanted, so I made this one to match the pink and brown polka dot theme.
As party favors I made these cookies with an "A" on them... (I got the idea from my brother and his wife's wedding - I just thought they were so fun!)
Our simple menu consisted of carrots, little hoagies, caramelized bacon wrapped hot dogs, tortilla chips and taco dip, cucumber sandwiches, and olives.

Wowsers, this girl got presents... I was shocked to see how many people brought one despite the "no gifts" message on the invite! Next time I'll have to be more clear I guess!
Auntie Jer and Uncle Joe gave Alia some "Johnny Poppers". They are super cute cowboy boots made by John Deere (a definite plus in Daddy's book)! Alia just loved modeling them around... aren't they so adorable?!

The day ended up being gorgeous, so the party was moved outside! Despite the fact that we have a big verandah we all crammed on one itsy bitsy part to get the maximum amount of sunshine! That's how life is up here though... ya don't want a single drop of sunshine to go to waste!
Alia never actually smashed her "smash cake"! She daintily picked at the icing... little by little by little! (And slowly I might add!) I, the one who hates messes, even had the urge to take her little hand and plop it right in the cake! But I resisted... as did 80% of the other party guests, I think! We moved Alia, high chair and all, inside to finish her delicacy, while we all picked out our pieces! It didn't look like she was going to pick up the pace any... so we just let her be!
Well... I still can't believe she's 1, but she is, and every day I'm thankful for her! This little lady has blessed us more than I'll ever be able to describe - what a pure joy to have her in our lives!

1 comment:

  1. Even though you say no gifts, people can't resist buying the cute little toys or clothes. It must be a marketing gimic. HA HA

    ReplyDelete